Thursday, June 10, 2010

Easiest meal ever, or Broccoli Rabe

Some (all) of the broccoli rabe (or rape) was hanging out in the fridge from last week and I found what's maybe the 2nd easiest way to eat it ever (aside from raw and blanched).  

So, while I'm a huge CSA supporter and love me some local farms (yes, I did go to two farmer's markets this week), there's still just a bunch of veggies that I've never really dealt with well.  One of the reasons that I'm excited to be doing this project is because it will really force me to be better about using all my veggies this year.  Also, I need to remember to blanch and freeze the greens, can or freeze all the summer foods when they're in season and threatening to overwhelm me.  Sometimes there's just too much X during the week.


Broccoli Rabe:

It's basically blanched (2 min or so) but then toss it around in some brown butter with basalmic.  How to make the butter?

Heat a skillet to hot, toss in 6T butter.  Wait til the sizzling subsides and then pour in some basalmic vinegar (there's going to be lots of splatter).  Pull the greens out of the water and toss them into the pan.


I paired it with broiled tofu with a miso glaze.  

Tofu:  slice it thin, brush it with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Put it under the broiler.  Flip it over and do the same on the other side after things brown up.

Miso glaze:  4T of miso (or so), 1T of sake or mirin and a little orange juice.  Warm all that in a pan and turn it into a solution.  Once it's all nice and warm add a splash of a nice vinegar (I used rice, about 1T).  I let it sit on the stove until the tofu was ready and then spooned it over.

No comments:

Post a Comment