Friday, June 25, 2010

stock



So, I'm not the responsible party for any stock-making in the past few days, that was definitely Kate, which means this isn't really about making anything...  It's a cautionary tale, or, it's got some strategies that will save you some money and space in your composter.


Any time something comes with a stalk or there's something about to go bad or I slice the ends off things (leeks, celery, ...  <-not broccoli!  Don't make stock with broccoli!) I throw it in a bag in the freezer.  It's just a plastic grocery bag unless I get really motivated and use one of the large newspaper bags that come on Sundays.

Who knows what ends up in there?  Turns out I kind of forgot that I'd already filled one bag an moved it to the chest freezer without making stock.  So, Kate got all motivated the other day and declared she was making stock.  I happily rummaged about and pulled out all my bags of frozen bits.  She wanted 4 cups.


I might have had 10 cups or more of frozen bits.  The stock pot was definitely not ready for all that.  We'll have to have another go soon.  


Moral:  freeze your ends!  Make stock more frequently!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! I got farmers market garlic on Tuesday that had pungent 3-foot stalks attached and now I know what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete